Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A Little Something About Me

And first, a picture:


You say, "Oh! What is this?  I new icing?  A sweet dip?"  No!  It's homemade deodorant!

Okay, I've been using homemade deodorant for a little under a year.  I've only had to make it 3 or 4 times.  I think it's been three.  Anyway, it lasts forever, and it smells good, and I don't end up dried out like I did with store bought stuff.  I was skeptical at first, because it IS a little weird when you first think about making deodorant, but I'd suggest it to anyone now!  The only downer - and the reason I haven't been able to convert my husband - is that this is NOT an antiperspirant.  So, ready for a story?

It all started a couple weeks ago when I realized I was nearing the end of my tube of deodorant.  I thought about making some new stuff, then life happened.  I was lazy, hubby was sick, I had to fold laundry.... the list of excuses goes on and on.  Well, yesterday I used the last of my stick.  I had planned on making more last night, then I had a meeting.  Once I got home, I thought, "Hey, I don't stink that bad, I can wait to make more until tomorrow."  Fast forward to today.  All's well until about 11:30 when I become very aware of my self and the fact that I'm going sans deodorant.  I am SO glad I get out of the office an hour early today!  I am strong enough to admit that I smelled pretty badly.  Anyway, I got home and the very first thing I did was pull out my deodorant recipe and get to work.  I could NOT go another day like this.

The Recipe:

1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup corn starch (or arrow root)
4 Tbsp coconut oil
10 - 15 drops of essential oil (optional)



Now, you can play with the ratio of soda and starch.  Some people are more sensitive to one, so they will up the other... as long as you have 1/2 cup when you're done, no worries.   Also, I've seen recipes that call for solid coconut oil and others that melt the coconut oil... it's personal preference. I think that melted or semi-melted makes it easier to mix, but neither way is wrong.

The Process:

Mix all ingredients until well blended.  You can store your deodorant in a tub of sorts - like a face cream tub... something that closes.  Or you can do what I do - put it in an old (store bought) deodorant tube.  Makes for much easier application, in my opinion.  Just twist the knob all the way to the bottom and fill it up with your mix.  If you melted your oil, or if the mix has gotten soft from all the handling, you may want to stick your deodorant in the 'fridge to harden up a bit.

And that's all there is to it.  Now you know I use homemade deodorant.  And you know how easy it is.  Don't let the cost of the coconut oil stop you.  You'll buy one jar and - if you're only using it for deodorant - will use it for maybe 8 - 10 (possibly more) deodorant re-fills.  Think of the cost of your store bought stuff - $4 or $5 each.  I think it pays for itself pretty quickly :)

Random picture of my cat:





No comments:

Post a Comment