Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Simple, Guilt Free Dinner

  I know I promised shots of my black beans and rice, but I took the pics on Hubby's phone, and he's at work.  So, instead, I have pictures of the yummy, guilt free dinner I had last night :)

  Enter zucchini pasta and corn.  Very simple, yet delicious.


  All you need is a couple zucchini - I used three of the small ones - and a julienne peeler.  Now, these peelers can be daunting and scary.  This was my first time using it, and I'm pretty sure I was doing it wrong.
  You want to be VERY careful to not get your hand caught in that thing.  I think it may be useful to hold your veggie on a plate at a 45 degree angle and peel from top to bottom.  You want to make sure you stop when the veggie starts to get soft, near the seeds, because that won't make good pasta.
  At this point, add whatever spices you want.  I did some pepper, garlic, and Bragg's liquid aminos.  Now cook.  Or not.  Your choice!  I added about 1/8 cup of water to mine in my Pampered Chef Round Covered Baker and popped in the microwave for maybe 5 minutes.  Done perfectly.
  Well, you could add sauce at this point and just have the pasta, but I wanted corn, and I needed the extra calories yesterday.  So, I did a Pict Sweet corn steamer bag in the microwave and just poured about half of it over my pasta.


  Never fear, I ate the rest of it after, it just wouldn't all fit in my bowl!  Now, I don't really call this a "meal" because I would NEVER serve this to anyone but myself.  But I thought it was a pretty darn good dinner :)

  Unrelated to the post, but have you been buying your veggie broth?  No need!! With all these yummi-licious veggies we're cooking, there's extra rubbish bits, right?  Well, get a large freezer bag and save all the "trash" parts:


  Save the bits in the freezer until you fill up the bag, then boil them all in a large stock pot for at least an hour, but for more flavor, go longer.  strain the stock to removed any seeds/stems/non-edibles and store in an air tight container.  You'll never wonder what's in your veggie broth again!  Also, you'll save lots of sodium.

  As always, thanks for coming.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.  Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment